This computer science course from Microsoft provides learners with the knowledge and skills required to design, implement, and load a relational data warehouse. In this four week course, you’ll learn how to analyze business requirements, design dimension and fact tables, index and partition the data for performance, and create ETL solutions for ongoing loading of the warehouse.
This course is taught with short-form lectures, demonstrations, and interviews with industry experts. Quizzes and hands-on labs, using Microsoft SQL Server 2016 and Azure SQL Database, will help to reinforce your knowledge, practice skills, and solve problems.
Note: To complete the hands-on elements in this course, you will require an Azure subscription and a Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X client computer. You can sign up for a free Azure trial subscription (a valid credit card is required for verification, but you will not be charged for Azure services). Note that the free trial is not available in all regions. It is possible to complete the course and earn a certificate without completing the hands-on practices.
- Familiarity with database concepts and basic SQL query syntax
- Familiarity with business uses of databases, such as reports and dashboards
- A willingness to learn actively and persevere when troubleshooting technical problems is essential
What you will learn
- Map business reporting requirements to logical data entities
- Design dimension and fact tables in a star schema
- Indexing and partitioning strategies to provide performance and scale
- Load the data warehouse with Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) techniques